Together we can make the District of Columbia a friendlier place for those of all ages.
The District of Columbia is working to become an inclusive and accessible urban environment. Age-Friendly DC is part of an international effort started by the World Health Organization to respond to two significant demographic trends: urbanization and a rapidly aging population.
You can make an investment now in your future. Sponsor a Community Consultation for your neighbors, friends, and family members. Participants will join others in contributing to what the District will look like as an Age-Friendly City! Topics for consideration at each Community Consultation are:
- Outdoor Spaces and Buildings—accessibility to and availability of safe recreational facilities.
- Transportation—safe and affordable modes of private and public transportation.
- Housing—wide range of housing options for older residents, aging in place, and other home modification programs.
- Social Participation—access to leisure and cultural activities and opportunities for older residents to participate in social and civic engagement with their peers and younger people.
- Respect and Social Inclusion—programs to support and promote ethnic and cultural diversity, along with programs to encourage multigenerational interaction and dialogue.
- Civic Participation and Employment – promotion of paid work and volunteer activities for older residents and opportunities to engage in formulation of policies relevant to their lives.
- Communication and Information—promotion of and access to the use of technology to keep older residents connected to their community and friends and family, both near and far.
- Community Support and Health Services—access to homecare services, clinics, and programs to promote wellness and active aging.
- Emergency Preparedness and Resilience, a DC-addition—information, education and training to ensure the safety, wellness, and readiness of seniors in emergency situations.
- Elder Abuse, Neglect, and Fraud, a DC-addition—prevention and prosecution of financial exploitation, neglect, and physical, sexual, and emotional abuse of seniors.
Sponsoring is easy and Age-Friendly DC is here to help. If you are interested, contact Pamela Davis via email, [email protected], or phone, (202) 727-7973.